A dog is the most loyal animal. Its love is unconditional and so pure. As soon as you get home a pup, it becomes an integral part of your fam. And the way one cares for a new born child, the pup also needs the same attention and pampering. Its feeding, vaccination, potty training, everything needs to be taken care of. But the moment it starts showing some abnormalities in behaviour, you just get worried and weird thoughts start popping into your head.
We have penned down some of the most common dog diseases and their symptoms that must be annoying your lovely pet.
Cushing’s Disease in Dogs:
- It is a common endocrine disease in dogs. It is also known as hyperadrenocorticism. Canine Cushing’s diseaseoccurs when the body produces too much cortisol ( which is a hormone generated and restored by the adrenals, the two small glands present above the kidneys).
Symptoms of Cushing’s Disease in Dogs
Here are some of the common symptoms associated with Cushing’s disease in dogs:
Lethargy and laziness
Cushing’s disease is generally seen in dogs six years or above. Breeds that are more likely to get affected by Cushing are the Terrier, Poodle, German Shepherd, Dachshund, Boxer, Labrador Retriever, Australian Shepherd, Cocker Spaniel, and Maltese.
Causes of Cushing’s Disease
Cushing’s disease in dogs
Lyme Diseases in D
- Lyme disease in dogs is one of the most common
infectiontransmitted by ticks .Itis the most common tick-borne disease in dogs. When the infection grows, it leads to Lyme disease. It causes lameness in the dogs due to inflammation of the joints. When the infection worsens, it might cause damage to the kidneys also. Depression and lack of appetite is also common.
Symptoms of Lyme Disease in dogs:
inflexiblebody with an rounded back
lack of appetiteand depression
Nervous system disorder (which is very rare)
Dental Disease in D
- :Canine periodontitis is an oral bacterial infection. There are four stages of periodontal disease, starting with a plaque and mildly aroused gums to severe gingivitis (gum disease), and then progresses from mild to severe periodontitis, which may even cause bone or tooth loss.
But with a good at-home dental care routine and regular dental cleanings by some professional, you can prevent your pet from getting affected by such a disease.
Symptoms of Periodontitis:
Red or swollen gums
Difficulty in chewing
Auto-Immune Disease in D
- AA dog’s immune system consists of white blood cells, red blood cells and antibodies that fight off infections, bacteria and viruses. Canine autoimmune diseases make the immune system of the dog to attack the body’s own cells and tissues. An autoimmune disease can be life-threatening to dogs depending on which organ or tissue the immune system has attacked. There are various types of autoimmune diseases like autoimmune haemolytic anaemia, Systemic lupus erythematosus, Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia and the symptoms associated with them are also different.
Common Symptoms of Auto-Immune D
Weakness or lethargy
Increased heart rate and panting
Loss of the pigment of
Swollen lymph nodes
Collapse, in severe cases
Diseases You Can Get From D
Most Common Diseases That You Can Get From Your Dog Are:
Hookworms and tapeworms
How to Reduce The Risk of The Diseases in Your Dog:
Prevention is better than cure. To have a healthy pet, you have to take some precautionary measures.
- Make sure your pet’s illness is well addressed.
- Visit the vet immediately if your dog is showing some signs of illness.
- Keep your pet clean and well groomed! Make it a bath once a week.
- De-worm your pup regularly. Scheduled de-worming can even prevent roundworms and other parasites.
- If you have many pets, give them separate water dishes and bowls.
- Wash pet bedding often so that it can be protected from skin diseases.
- Use flea and tick preventatives regularly.
- Cleans its ears regularly.