Working inside an illustrative environment makes one depend too much on the tools and menus. So there are some of the useful shortcut keys available for special characters and symbols in Microsoft Word.
But with a little hit and trial helped us discover the shortcuts which can help you apply the copyright/trademark symbols with a keystroke.
The copyright (©), trademark (â„¢) and the registered (®) symbols are compulsorily required to protect the originality of any document. If something falls under a copyright act, it must be marked out as such. So if you are given such a task for any work, these tricks will save your time.
To insert copyright, registered or trademark symbol in Microsoft Word
In MS Word, these symbols can be inserted from the menu bar as well. Click on Insert > Symbol. If you did not find the symbol, click on More Symbols to see the entire list.
But to save time, applying the symbols with shortcuts is always a great choice. The shortcut keys are:
Ctrl+Alt+C=© (The Copyright Symbol)
or you can type an open parenthesis – type a c and close the parenthesis. MS Word will automatically create the symbol.
Ctrl+Alt+T=TM (The Trademark Symbol)
Or you can type an open parenthesis – type tm and close the parenthesis. MS Word will automatically create the symbol.
Ctrl+Alt+R=® (The Registered Symbol)
Or you can type an open parenthesis – type r and close the parenthesis. MS Word creates the symbol automatically.
To insert a copyright, registered or trademark symbol in any Windows applications
If you are working on any Windows application like Notepad or Photoshop, the numeric keypad is used along with the Alt key. First of all, activate the numeric keypad by pressing the NumLock key. When you are done, follow the instruction given below:
- To type the Copyright symbol (©) Press hold the Altkey down and type 0169.
- For the Trademark symbol (TM) Press hold the Altkey down and type 0153.
- To get the Registered symbol (®) Press hold the Altkey down and type 0174.
To insert copyright, registered or trademark symbol in HTML
In the HTML coding application, the symbols can be created using the same number combination as used in the windows application in the source code but prefixed by &# and a semi-colon in the end. Have a look:
© – ©
Or you can type the copyright symbols simply by typing ©.
™ – TM
Also, for trademark symbols, ™ can also be used.
® – ®
For registered symbols, ® can also be used.
Please note that:
- The clarity of all the symbols may need to be adjusted by changing either the font size or the font itself.
- The copyright symbol is always written on the baseline.
- The trademark â„¢ symbol is always superscripted.
- The registered trademark symbol can either be on the baseline or superscripted.
- The Windows Character Map accessed via Programs > Accessories > System Tools can also be used to insert the symbols.